If a medical school has a rural focus, do I need to practise rurally after graduating (and can I still graduate with other specialties)?

No, you don’t necessarily have to practise rurally after graduating, and yes, you can still undertake specialist training after graduating. A lot of Australian universities have a rural program or rural focus of some sort, since rural practice is a big part of Australian health initiatives—programs are always changing and evolving to meet the country’s needs, and even Australian universities that aren’t ‘rural’ are quite likely to quiz you on rural topics during interviews.

For example, some students (mistakenly) believe that James Cook University (JCU) only accepts rural applicants since it has a rural focus. Although it’s true that JCU has a rural focus, you definitely don’t need to be a rural student to apply, and you don’t need to be a rural doctor after you graduate from their program either.

Can't find what you're looking for?

We’d love to help! Just click the button below to send us your question, and one of our student advisors will get back to you with the answer!

Want to know more?

Join the thousands of students and parents who have attended a FREE iCanMed workshop to achieve efficient, effective UCAT and interview preparation.

Attendees frequently tell us that our webinars provide far greater value than anything they’ve attended before, including courses that have cost them thousands of dollars. We can’t wait to share what we know with you, too!

iCanMed logo

Can’t find the information you’re looking for?

Drop us your question and preferred contact method below, and we’ll get back to you with the answer!

ucat guide 2022